If you have a project that requires painting after removing wallpaper, you’re not alone. Wallpaper removal followed by painting is a common home improvement project that can completely transform the look of a space. However, it can also be a bit daunting if you’ve never done it before. In the DFW area (where R81 Painting is located), color preferences and styles come and go – so it’s not unusual that we’re called on to make changes to someone’s home on a regular basis! But we want to help any way we can, even if it’s simply to make smart suggestions to the DIY-er.
That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you navigate the process and ensure your painting project is a success. As the authority on all things painting, R81 Painting is here to share our expertise and make the process as simple and enjoyable as possible.
How to Paint After Removing Wallpaper
Here are our top tips for painting after removing wallpaper:
- Clean the walls thoroughly: Before you start painting, make sure the walls are free of any debris or residue from the wallpaper removal process. Use a sponge or cloth with warm water and a mild detergent to clean the walls. Rinse the walls with clean water and allow them to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Repair any damage: Removing wallpaper can sometimes cause damage to the walls, such as small tears or holes. Use spackling paste to fill any holes or gaps, and then sand the area smooth once it has dried. If the damage is more extensive, consider hiring a professional to repair the walls before painting.
- Prime the walls: Applying a coat of primer to the walls before painting will help the paint adhere better and ensure a smooth, even finish. Choose a primer that is appropriate for the type of paint you’ll be using, whether it’s latex or oil-based.
- Choose your paint: There are many different types of paint to choose from, including matte, satin, and gloss finishes. Think about the look you want to achieve and choose a paint that will help you achieve that. You’ll also need to decide on a color, which can be a fun but overwhelming decision. Consider using online tools to help you visualize different colors in your space.
- Apply the paint: Once you’ve chosen your paint, it’s time to start painting. Use a high-quality brush or roller to apply the paint evenly to the walls. Start at the top of the wall and work your way down, making sure to overlap each stroke slightly to avoid streaks or lines. Depending on the type of paint you’ve chosen, you may need to apply multiple coats to achieve the desired finish.
- Take your time: Painting can be a time-consuming process, but it’s important to take your time and do it right. Rushing through the job can lead to mistakes or an uneven finish. Take breaks as needed and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
By following these tips, you can successfully paint your walls after removing wallpaper. Remember, the key to a successful painting project is preparation and patience. If you need any assistance or have any questions, R81 Painting is always here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our painting services and how we can help you transform your home.